Saturday, April 20, 2013

Action Research Cycle: Weeks 1 and 2 (Module 1)

Originally posted: January 21, 2013

I felt the need to record, specifically, what I have completed during the first two weeks of this workshop.  I am now constantly thinking of what I can do to make WBT strong and successful in my classroom.  I love this challenge, and I love thinking (and knowing) I am a pioneer of WBT in my district!  What follows may seem small compared to other WBT research plans, but I want to test CoreFour in part, adjust, and add to it as necessary before introducing more advanced techniques.  I am predicting WBT techniques work best when combined.  However, sometimes less is more, and I will work to add all four CoreFour techniques plus the Super Improvers Wall by the end of this 16 week class.
My research question is, “Does the consistent use of Whole Brain Teaching's CoreFour and Five Classroom Rules produce increased enthusiasm and improved learning outcomes for all students?”  During weeks one and two, the WBTs five classroom rules were reintroduced and reinforced.  By doing so, I expected students to consistently follow all five rules.  I observed students stating Rule Two, “Raise your hand for permission to speak,” then a majority of students in all four classes would break the rule.  I did notice an increase in three out of five classes following Rule Three, “Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat.”  The outcome of implementing the Five Classroom Rules was inconsistent.  While students are following some of the rules they are still not consistent with all five in all four of my classes.  During weeks three and four, the action research plan will be adjusted by using Chris Biffle’s Rule Two and Three YouTube videos.  Selected students will be allowed to purposefully break rules two and three to show the class examples of what not to do.  The Scoreboard will also also be reintroduced and used consistently in hopes that setting group goals, like following rules two and three, will help students follow the Five Classroom Rules consistently.
If I have inserted the YouTube videos correctly, perhaps they can give you a better understanding of how I am going to focus on Rules 2 and 3.  I will check them at work, and if they were not embedded properly, I will try again.
Here is the link for the video about Rule 2: http://www.cleanvideosearch.com/media/action/yt/watch?videoId=mS9btiKerAA
Here is the link for the video about Rule 3: http://www.cleanvideosearch.com/media/action/yt/watch?videoId=g183OXxJ2pw





No comments:

Post a Comment